Art UK has updated its cookies policy. By using this website you are agreeing to the use of cookies. To find out more read our updated Use of Cookies policy and our updated Privacy policy.

National Trust, Plas Newydd

Photo credit: National Trust Images/Nick Meers

More about

Plas Newydd (New Mansion), on the Menai Straits, transformed between 1793 and the 1820s, was the seat of the Griffith, Bagenal and Bayly families and subsequently the Pagets. After Beaudesart, Staffordshire was abandoned, the 6th Marquess (1885–1947) and his wife, Lady Majorie Manners (1883–1946) brought Plas Newydd to life. They altered the Saloon to take the four enormous pastoral scenes, of 1789, by the Flemish artist Balthazar Paul Ommeganck and commissioned, in 1936, Rex Whistler’s longest mural, a huge architectural capriccio of an Italian seaport, in the dining room. An adjoining museum, acquired by the National Trust, since the death of Laurence Whistler (1912–2000), displays his brother’s artistic range. Also of interest are the eight battles scenes by Louis Laguerre. Portraits range from those of 'William Paget (1505/1506–1663), 1st Baron Paget de Beaudesert, KG', through to Sir Thomas Lawrence’s portrait of Field Marshal Sir Henry William Paget (1768–1854) – who lost his leg at the Battle of Waterloo – to a few Hoppners, and those of James Jebusa Shannon.

Llanfairpwll, Isle of Anglesey (Ynys Môn) LL61 6DQ Wales

plasnewydd@nationaltrust.org.uk

01248 714795

Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/plas-newydd