Aberconwy House is the sole survivor in Conwy of the houses-cum-warehouses of the English merchants in the town. It has been dated by the tree-ring analysis of its timbers to around 1420. A favourite subject for watercolourists in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century because of its picturesquely crooked and variously textured form on a corner site, it later became a temperance hotel. It was saved from further alteration by Alexander Campbell Blair, who gave it and its contents to the National Trust in 1934. It was not open to the public, but to make it viable the ground floor was rented out as an antique shop. Two oil paintings that formed part of the gift were therefore lent to Montacute House. Rooms have now been furnished to show how it would have been lived in at various periods in its history.
Castle Street, Conwy, Gwynedd LL32 8AY Wales
Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue