Acorn Bank, set in the Eden Valley, with a delightful garden, and a thirteenth-century watermill driven by the Crowdundle Beck, is a red sandstone house which forms an attractive foil to the garden. Its core was built around 1600, but it was substantially renovated around 1745, with a grand stone staircase, over which is a stucco ceiling possibly by Joseph Rose the Elder. There is also an earlier painted ceiling in the Chapel Wing, and two panelled rooms upstairs in the seventeenth-century centre of the house. From 1600 to the 1930s it was the home of the Dalston/Boazman family. The writer, Dorothy Una Radcliffe, Mrs McGregor Phillips, made improvements, before giving it the National Trust in 1950 and it has been tenanted ever since. It only has two portraits, and these are not indigenous to the property.