National Trust, Ardress House

Image credit: National Trust Images/Andreas von Einsiedel

More about

Ardress House, built by 1705 but modernised between 1778 and 1783 by the architect-owner George Ensor (1724–1803), which included adding a portico on the east front, and having its wall and ceilings plastered by the native stuccador, Michael Stapleton to create one of the finest Neoclassical drawing-rooms in Ireland, is, otherwise, a modest Irish country house, bought, virtually devoid of contents, from Captain Charles Howard Ensor (1878–1963), via the Ulster Land Fund, by the National Trust in 1960. The paintings come from the collection of Patrick, Earl Castle Stewart, and include a portrait of a solider by the Bolognese artist Bartolomeo Passarotti.

64 Ardress Road, Annaghmore, Portadown, County Armagh BT62 1SQ Northern Ireland

02887 784753

Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue