Art UK has updated its cookies policy. By using this website you are agreeing to the use of cookies. To find out more read our updated Use of Cookies policy and our updated Privacy policy.

National Trust, Florence Court
National Trust, Florence Court

Photo credit: National Trust Images/Matthew Antrobus

Florence Court, named after the wife of Sir John Cole (1709–1767), 1st Baron Mount Florence, only daughter of Sir Bourchier Wrey, Bt, of Devon, was built on land amongst the mountains and forests of west Fermanagh, given to his great-grandfather William Cole (d.1653), Governor and first Provost of Enniskillen, in 1719. It was completed with the pavilions by William Willoughby (1736–1803), 1st Earl of Enniskillen, where the collection of almost 10,000 fossil fish of the palaeontologist, William Willoughby (1807–1887), 3rd Earl of Enniskillen, now in the Natural History Museum, was once housed. Florence Court was given to the National Trust by the eccentric John Henry Michael (1876–1963), 5th Earl and his son, Viscount Cole (1921–1956) in 1954 but was gutted by fire only a year later. Although most of the contents survived, they were removed to Scotland in 1973 by Viscount Cole’s cousin, David Lowry-Cole (1918–1989), 7th Earl of Enniskillen, a Kenyan-born rancher, and his second wife, the American journalist, Nancy MacLennan (1917–1998), Countess of Enniskillen. She explained the reasons in her book, 'Florence Court – My Irish Home' (1972). In 1997 she made a splendid restitution of the major contents. The most intriguing pictures are the three unattributed large views of 'Lough Erne at Enniskillen with Castle Barracks in the Middle Distance’, 'Devenish Island' and 'Belleek Falls' (The Falls of Ballyshannon, County Donegal), possibly by an immigrant scenery-painter employed by Dublin’s vigorous Smock Alley Theatre.

National Trust, Florence Court

Visit venue's website

National Trust, Florence Court is managed by National Trust

National Trust is an Art UK Founder Partner

National Trust, Florence Court

Enniskillen, County Fermanagh BT92 1DB Northern Ireland

02866 348249

Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit

  • 09 December 2021

    Percy the Park Keeper has joined us for a winter adventure so we've made him and his animal friends feel at home. Step into Percy's wellies for the day with a visit to your nearest trail before 4 January.