Queen Mary, University of London

Image credit: Queen Mary, University of London Archives

More about

The collection features the principals of Queen Mary and its predecessor body Westfield College, and traces the history of the institution back to the establishment of the People’s Palace in 1885, a philanthropic endeavour to provide culture and education to the people of East London, and Westfield College in 1882, one of the first higher education colleges for women. The paintings were commissioned by the Colleges during the tenure of the respective principals. The collection also includes paintings originally acquired by Westfield College, and now housed in the Archives, which include a beautiful piece capturing Queen Hythe Dock in Southwark, painted by an alumnus. Outstanding works include 'Mrs Mary Stocks' by Philip Connard, 'Professor Caroline Skeel (1872–1951), MA, DLitt' by Percy Bigland, and 'Constance Louisa Maynard, MA, Mistress (1882–1913)' by George William Joy.

Mile End Road, London, Greater London E1 4NS England

020 7882 5555

Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue