Art UK has updated its cookies policy. By using this website you are agreeing to the use of cookies. To find out more read our updated Use of Cookies policy and our updated Privacy policy.

English Heritage, Kenwood

Photo credit: English Heritage

Open to the public

Historic house or home in Camden

317 artworks

Plan a visit

More about

The Iveagh Bequest, Kenwood, is internationally renowned for the collection of paintings gifted to the nation in 1927 by Edward Cecil Guinness, 1st Earl of Iveagh. Old Masters and eighteenth-century portraits are displayed in the magnificent villa remodelled by Robert Adam and set in beautiful landscaped parkland on Hampstead Heath. The house opened in 1928 after being saved from developers and the art collection continues to grow, with many of the new acquisitions being possible with the assistance of grant aid bodies. English Heritage still follow the original wish of Lord Iveagh to display Kenwood as an eighteenth century gentleman’s home. Among the many world-famous works are a late self portrait, 'Portrait of the Artist', by Rembrandt, 'The Guitar Player' by Vermeer and 'Mary, Countess Howe' by Thomas Gainsborough. The Suffolk Collection contains Old Masters, royal and family portraits which once belonged to the Earls of Suffolk and Berkshire. It contains the largest collection of early, full-length Jacobean portraits by the English artist William Larkin.

Hampstead Lane, London, Greater London NW3 7JR England

0208 348 1286

Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue