National Trust, Mount Stewart

Image credit: National Trust Images/John Hammond

More about

Mount Stewart, by the shore of Strangford Lough in County Down, was the home of the Marquesses of Londonderry. Robert (1739–1821), 1st Marquess of Londonderry is represented at Mount Stewart in a portrait by Anton Raphael Mengs, painted while he was in Rome on the Grand Tour. His eldest son, the statesman Robert (1769–1822), 2nd Marquess of Londonderry, who is represented in portraits by the studio of Sir Thomas Lawrence and Hugh Douglas Hamilton, is better known by his courtesy title, Viscount Castlereagh. He was succeeded by his half-brother, Charles (1778–1854), 3rd Marquess of Londonderry. Through his second wife, Frances Anne Vane-Tempest (1800–1865), the 3rd Marquess inherited a number of works of art, including George Stubbs’s 'Hambletonian', Rubbing Down. The collection at Mount Stewart includes part of the historic Londonderry collection, paintings of the horses and dogs owned by the family, and society portraits of Charles (1878–1949), 7th Marquess of Londonderry and his wife Edith, Lady Londonderry (1878–1959) by Philip Alexius de László and Sir John Lavery. Their youngest daughter, Lady Mairi Bury (1921–2009), was painted by Edmund Brock as a girl. She gave Mount Stewart to the National Trust in 1977, and some of the paintings are on loan from her estate.

Portaferry Road, Newtownards, County Down BT22 2AD England

02842 788387

Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue