Dunfermline Carnegie Library & Galleries, is an award-winning museum and library in the heart of the Heritage Quarter of Dunfermline. Opened in May 2017, the contemporary museum and gallery building links superbly with the world’s first Carnegie Free Public Library which opened in 1883. As one of Scotland’s former ancient capitals, Dunfermline has both a remarkable royal history and an impressive industrial heritage which is represented in its displays. Since 1921, this venue has been the proud custodian of the Murison Burns Collection, gifted to the town by Sir Alexander Gibb, whose firm was responsible for the construction of the Rosyth Dockyard. The collector was a Glaswegian, John Murison, who had exhibited at the Burns Memorial Exhibition held in Glasgow in 1896. His entire collection, including pottery, sculpture and portraits came to Dunfermline. This venue and its collections are managed by OnFife on behalf of Fife Council.
Dunfermline Carnegie Library & Galleries
1–7 Abbot Street, Dunfermline, Fife KY12 7NL Scotland
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit