The Brangwyn Hall panels are important examples of the work of Sir Frank Brangwyn (1867–1956), RA. The Brangwyn Hall is renowned as a major concert hall, and the paintings have an interesting history.
In 1924, the House of Lords decided to commemorate the First World War by commissioning new artwork for the Royal Gallery, Palace of Westminster, London, and Brangwyn was chosen.
Brangwyn had been an official First World War artist and was a Royal Academician with a high international profile. His intention was to enliven the space with ‘decorative painting representing various Dominions and parts of the British Empire’.
However, in 1927/1928 two of the supporting peers died, and in 1930, when the artist was asked to present his work to date, public controversy ensued; the scheme was deemed to be inappropriate, and was declined.
Respecting Brangwyn’s reputation and his paternal Welsh connections, Swansea expressed interest in housing the panels in the new Guildhall. Successful in securing them, the Brangwyn Hall was inaugurated along with the Guildhall in October 1934.
The Brangwyn Hall panels by Sir Frank Brangwyn are located within the Guildhall, which is currently undergoing refurbishment. To arrange a visit, please contact us or see our website http://www.swansea.gov.uk/brangwynhall.
Find prints, books, gifts and exclusive product ranges in the Art UK Shop. Purchases directly support public collections across the country