Edzell Castle was home to the Lindsays, a gifted, turbulent and tragic noble family who acquired the estate in 1358. The lordly seat was a motte and bailey residence near the medieval church. In the 1500s, the family built a brand new castle – the one we admire today. The red sandstone castle walls, set amid pleasant green parkland, make an attractive setting. The icing on the cake of the new residence was the great garden, added in 1604.