County Buildings, South Ayrshire Council

Image credit: Mary and Angus Hogg, CC BY-SA 2.0 (source: Geograph)

Currently closed

Public building in South Ayrshire

11 artworks

Part of South Ayrshire Council

More about

The original County Buildings were constructed between 1818 and 1822 (Architect Robert Wallace), but this was much extended, with the extension foundation stone being laid in 1931 by the Duke of York (later George VI), accompanied by his wife (the late Queen Mother). From the Entrance Hall rise two semi-circular staircases giving access to the County Hall and a suite of Committee Rooms, all finished in fumed oak. Six large windows with leaded stained glass light the staircase. These depict the County Coat of Arms, pictorial representations of the chief industries and bearing the crests of the 16 Burghs of Ayrshire. Oil portraits decorate the entrance hall, staircases and upper hallway.

Wellington Square, Ayr, South Ayrshire KA7 1DR Scotland

0300 123 0900

Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue