Emsworth Museum is administered by Emsworth Maritime and Historical Trust (a registered charity). The museum is run by volunteers and was awarded full Accreditation in 2009.
In the 18th and 19th centuries Emsworth was the principal port of Chichester Harbour and by 1900 was renowned for its oysters and scallops. J. D. Foster’s oyster smacks were the most technically advanced fishing vessels of the time. A major disaster in 1902 ended this trade.
Emsworth Museum has many exhibits and archives reflecting the history of the local people - their lives, shops, homes and work, together with CDs of memories recorded by residents and DVDs of activities and events filmed over the years. P.G. Wodehouse lived in Emsworth from 1904 until 1914 and a corner of the Main Room is devoted to his time here. Exhibitions in the David Rudkin Room (named after the museum's founder) change monthly.
10B North Street, Emsworth, Hampshire PO10 7DD England
Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue
Ebb Tide at Dawn in Emsworth HarbourAlan Edgar Summers (1926–2006)
'Indian Queen' of Emsworth, 1863Richard L. Williamson (1916–2003)
Dolphin CutPeter Whitham (1924–1996)
Lumley Mill, Emsworth, before the Fire in May 1915 unknown artist
Warblington Church Wickham-Smith
Alan Edgar Summers (1926–2006)
Richard L. Williamson (1916–2003)
Peter Whitham (1924–1996)
Venues in Hampshire
Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council, Civic Offices
Bishop’s Waltham Museum
Charles Dickens' Birthplace Museum
East Hampshire District Council Offices
Eastney Industrial Museum
Explosion! The Museum of Naval Firepower
Subscribe to our newsletter
New stories, newly added artworks and shop offers delivered straight to your inbox every week.