Dutch Cottage Museum

Image credit: James Bettley

Visit by appointment

Other in Essex

4 artworks

Plan a visit

More about

The Dutch Cottage, Canvey Road, was built in 1618 and is now run on behalf of the Borough Council by the Benfleet and District Historical Society as the Dutch Cottage Museum. Given to the then Canvey Island Urban District Council in 1952, it was restored, repainted and had its conical roof re-thatched ready for opening as a museum in 1962. Further extensive restoration works have been carried out to the cottage. The rooms of the cottage, which include a living room, passage and large and small bedrooms, now contain a variety of exhibits that illustrate the history of Canvey Island, including models of the types of sailing craft which passed the Island from Roman times onward. Attached to the cottage is a new exhibition hall that houses the many exhibits (including the fine collection of corn dollies).

Northwick Corner, Canvey Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 0QD England


01268 753487, 01268 751695

Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue