The Duncan of Jordanstone College Collection comprises a large collection of artworks by the former students and staff of one of the UK’s most prestigious art colleges.
The college began life in 1888 as part of the Technical Institute on Small’s Wynd. In 1910 a new building opened on Bell Street renamed Dundee Technical College & School of Art. One year earlier in 1909, local benefactor James Duncan of Jordanstone bequeathed £60,000 towards 'founding in Dundee a School of Industrial Art, to be named and known in all time to come as the Duncan of Jordanstone Art School.' Various legal problems meant that the money would not be spent for another 45 years.
Construction of a new art school building, separate from the Technical College, began in 1953. Opened in 1955, it was renamed Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art in 1962. A few artworks had been retained prior to this move, but regular collecting from graduating students began in 1955 under Head of Drawing and Painting Alberto Morrocco, and the College has acquired works from fine art students every year since then.
30 Years of Art Collecting and Exhibiting at the University of Dundee
19 artworks curated by Matthew Jarron, Curator, University of Dundee Museum Services