Art UK has updated its cookies policy. By using this website you are agreeing to the use of cookies. To find out more read our updated Use of Cookies policy and our updated Privacy policy.

Visit by appointment

Public building in Gloucestershire

7 artworks

More about

Winchcombe's Victorian Town Hall was completely rebuilt in 1853 and extended in 1871. It replaced a much older ruinous hall. The pillars supporting the upper floor provided a covered market and sales area below. Events of all kinds were held in the Town Hall, including the monthly Court of Petty Sessions, meetings, concerts, dances, banquets and other social occasions. The ancient seven-holed stocks still stand outside the Town Hall. They were still used in early Victorian times, usually for cases of drunkenness and fighting. Part of the covered market area has now been enclosed to provide the Tourist Information Office. The old Court Room and Magistrates' private Retiring Room house the Folk and Police Museum. The Town Hall's exterior was renovated in 1999 in a restoration project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

High Street, Winchcombe, Gloucestershire GL54 5LJ England

01242 609151

Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue