The Museum & Art Gallery was built in 1891 to house a collection of oil paintings and watercolours donated by Mrs Edwin Richards on behalf of her late husband. Most of the works are by contemporary English artists, but there are several pictures by Dutch and Flemish masters such as Koekkoek and Verboeckhoven.
The Gallery is built in pressed red brick and terracotta. It was, and remains today, a handsome addition to Wednesbury. There are four panels on the front of the building, with heads of Sir Christopher Wren to represent Architecture, Sir Joshua Reynolds for Art, John Flaxman for Sculpture, and Sir Isaac Newton for Science. In the two niches above the main door are busts of Alderman Williams and Alderman Lloyd, both mayors of Wednesbury and chairmen of the Art Gallery Committee during the building and opening of the Museum.
Holyhead Road, Wednesbury, West Midlands WS10 7DF England
0121 556 0683
Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue