Sanquhar Tolbooth Museum

Image credit: M J Richardson, CC BY-SA 2.0 (source: Geograph)

More about

Designed by William Adam, Sanquhar Tolbooth was built in 1735 on the site of its predecessor. A two-storey building with a tall clock tower, records suggest that stone from Sanquhar Castle was used in its construction. Sanquhar Museum was founded in the tollbooth in 1975, and initially run by an Honorary Curator, Tom Johnston. By the mid-1980s the fabric of the building required substantial refurbishment and in 1987 the museum was closed while the works were carried out supported by European Union finance. The premises re-opened in 1990 with completely new displays and a room for storage. The former cells on the ground floor were also opened for exhibition. Displays now include Sanquhar’s world-famous knitting tradition and the story of the mines and miners of Sanquhar and Kirkconnel. Local archaeology and social history are on display, along with items associated with both World Wars and the story of the town’s common riding. At ground level is a set of jougs attached to the wall, by the side of the prison door.

Find prints, books, gifts and exclusive product ranges in the Art UK Shop. Purchases directly support public collections across the country

Visit the shop

Helensville High Street, Sanquhar, Dumfries and Galloway DG4 6BN Scotland

01659 50186

Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue